Saturday, October 3, 2009

Apple Butter Recipe



I found this yummy looking recipe on the DomesticCents blog (unrelated, but she also has directions for making cinnamon scented pinecones).

Crock Pot Apple Butter
adapted from All Recipes

5-1/2 pounds apples – peeled, cored and chopped/shredded
4 cups white sugar (use less sugar if you are using a sweet apple)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
Directions – Here’s the thing. I didn’t exactly follow the recipe. I used more than 5 pounds of apples but I’m not sure how many. I just filled my crock pot (it reduces by almost half). I also played with the spices a little to make it how I wanted.

1.Put the apples in your crock pot. Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl them dump them in with the apples and mix it all up. You can add more sugar or spices part way through if you need to. I like mine extra spicy but if you don’t then you might want to lessen the spices.
2.Set it on High for 1 hour then reduce it down to Low for 12+ hours (overnight). You are trying to get it to cook down past the point of applesauce. I read somewhere a great tip on how to tell when it’s done. Scoop out a teaspoonful of it and set it on the counter. If in 5 minutes it hasn’t leaked a ring of water then it’s done. Mine took a VERY long time to get to that point but I’m glad I waited for it. Cook the last two hours with the lid off of the crock pot.
3.When it got to the end I used my hand mixer right in the crock pot to make it even smoother. My mom put hers in the blender which yielded and even smoother butter. It just depends on what you like